Tuesday 1 April 2008

A Little Alpaca Story!!!



In 2005 my sister and her husband sold everything to start up an Alpaca Farm in a field not far from where I live. Sadly not Long after making this life changing decision she was diagnosed with a brain tumour.
Andrea and her family decided to go ahead with their decision to start up the Alpaca farm and in April 2005 she had an operation to have the tumour removed.
The same day she had her operation my niece and I went back to the farm to feed the animals to find this tiny little scrap had been born. He was the first baby to be born on the farm, he had been born very early and was a total surprise it was very cold for April and we didn't know if he would survive the night. Emily and I spent the next week trying to keep him alive not knowing anything about baby Alpaca's and how to go about hand rearing we sought out the experience of a local sheep farmer, not wanting to worry my sister we didn't tell her he had been born until we were happy he had a good chance of surviving. Emily and I bottle fed him for several days traipsing up and down a cold dark field in the middle of the night to give him a bottle, he had no sucking reflex because he came so early.
Little Hugh ( named after the surgeon who performed my sisters operation) went from strength to strength and my sister came through her operation not completely unscathed but alive... she was left unable to walk properly but she is able to get about just a little slower.
They are now in their third year of running the farm and lots of baby's have been born since but Hugh will always have a special place in my heart!! he now lives with a new family and is kept as a pet with 2 other Alpaca's and is very spoilt!!
Michello from Stamps, Paper, Scissors and Donkey Smiles has inspired me to share this with you, I love reading about her Donkeys and her love for them.
Sue :o)

21 comments:

Jan Scholl said...

aren't they just the cutest things? I also love camels for the same reason-just cute faces. Animals heal our souls I think.

MichelleO said...

What a sweet story about Hugh.. and how you "raised" him. I love seeing the photograph of him as well he is such a cutie in his little coat! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Aw bless you all what a beautiful post...and a fantastic blog you have .TFS!!!:)

suzann said...

Thanks for sharing this story! That little Hugh is sooo cute!

Sharon said...

Aw beautiful story Sue. I hope your sister is in better health now. If I had room I'd have taken him in, hes sooo cute.

Noleen said...

Awww what a sweet story with a nice happy ending, glad to hear your sister is doing well...Noleen xx

Unknown said...

Awww I loved reading that story. It was full of hope and positivity.
I'm so pleased your sister (and Hugh) is healing Sue.
Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming story.
Viv xxx

Jo said...

What a lovely story Sue...nice to hear of happy endings for a change :)

Manna said...

Sweet memories! So grateful your sister is healing. And love Little Hugh's name!

Nikki said...

Awww how sweet is he?
What an uplifting story, thanks for sharing.

Gina said...

What a lovely story, I am so pleased your sister is ok, my dad had the same but unfortunately not the same outcome so it is nice to hear a happy ending and how cute is little Hugh :)
Gina xxx

elibeegifts.co.uk said...

What a lovely story.I hope Little Hugh and your sister have a very happy future in front of them.x

Annie said...

what a wonderful inspiring story, thank you for sharing it with us. annei x

Natalie said...

What a lovely story and Hugh is such a cutey. I wish your sister and her family a very long and happy future at the farm. x

Anonymous said...

Oh Sue what a lovely story to share!
I know this will always be with you and it must have been a very difficult time in your family's life!

Hugs, Marlene xx

Vicki said...

ooooohhh! Sue what a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us. I hope the Alpaca Farm keeps on growing from strength to strength. As for your sister, I wish her all the love, strength and happiness she deserves, such a brave lady. Thank you Sue xx vicki xx

Deb said...

What a beautiful story! thanks for sharing and for showing us that gorgeous pic!

Tarasdesigns said...

what a lovely story and hugh is such a cutie. I hope your sister is doing well

Tara x

Michelle Short said...

Aw, what a lovely story Sue, thank you for sharing it with us. I am so glad that Hugh and your sister are ok :0)

Maureen said...

what a story! He is too cute! Glad you sis is ok and that their farm is going...glad you shared it!
((()))Maureen

Katharina Frei said...

A heartwarming story Sue, thanks so much for sharing. I am so glad it had a happy end!